Visit Morpeth and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
Morpeth, Northumberland, is a very old place with little visible history but travellers find it useful as a shopping centre and a gateway to the moors, hills and coast of Northumberland. It is an attractive town in a U-shaped bend of the River Wansbeck with plentiful trees and parks, including the 400-acre Common with its golf course. On quaintly-named Ha' Hill overlooking the park were found early remains of a fortification. The remnants of Morpeth Castle are on a steep bank South of this hill. A restored 15th-century gatehouse is the chief survival. A good view of the town can be had from the path East of the castle.
The Parish Church of St Mary is on the southern edge of the town, a l4th-century building with later restoration. The east Jesse window contains the most important l4th-century glass in the county. An 1831 watch-house guards the churchyard against body-snatchers. In the Presbyterian Church of St George near the Telford Bridge (1861) is a memorial to Dr John Horsley, “father of British archaeology”, who died here in 1732, the year his Britannia Romana was published. Opposite this church is the former All Saints chantry chapel, which marked the river crossing in the 13th century and in the 16th century became part of a grammar school.
The south entrance to Morpeth passes a huge battlemented tower which turns out to be the courthouse and police station (1822, by Dobson) with the gatehouse for a gaol. In the Market Place stands the Town Hall, designed in 1714 by Sir John Vanbrugh and rebuilt in 1870. The hall opening into the street was the butter and egg market. The l5th-century clock tower with later additions is planted sturdily in the middle of Oldgate. It was the house of correction at one time and its bells still ring a curfew. Further along the street on the north side is the late Georgian Collingwood House, which once belonged to Admiral Collingwood.
Until the railway made it unnecessary, there was a weekly market in the Market Place. Bridge and Newgate Streets for cattle and sheep from the whole of the North of England and Scotland, with buyers from as far away as the North Riding of Yorkshire.
A walk l½ miles West brings you to Newminster Abbey, a 12th-century Cistercian monastery site. It was the daughter of Fountains Abbey and the mother of Roche.
Nearby cities: Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Nearby towns: Amble, Ashington, Bedlington, Blyth, Newbiggin-by-the-sea, Otterburn, Rothbury
Nearby villages: Alnmouth, Alwinton, Bebside, Belsay, Berwick Hill, Bothal, Callaly, Cambois, Choppington, Cowpen, Cramlington, Craster, Cresswell, Earsdon, Edlingham, Felton, Fenrother, Harbottle, Hartburn, Hebron, Hepscott, Hirst, Ingram, Kirkwhelpington, Linden, Longhirst, Longhorsley, Longwitton, Lynemouth, Meldon, Mitford, Netherwitton, Newsham, Pegswood, Seaton Burn, Seaton Delaval, Seghill, Stannington, Ulgham, Warkworth, West Chevington, Whalton, Whittingham, Widdrington, Wingates, Woodhorn
Have you decided to visit Morpeth or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a Morpeth bed and breakfast (a Morpeth B&B or Morpeth b and b)
- a Morpeth guesthouse
- a Morpeth hotel (or motel)
- a Morpeth self-catering establishment, or
- other Morpeth accommodation