Visit Liverpool and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
Liverpool, Merseyside. The waterfront of Liverpool, dominated by the big buildings of Liver, Cunard and the Docks Board claims to be Europe's greatest Atlantic seaport. Seven miles of docks are packed along this waterfront; and it has the world's largest floating landing stage, about ½ mile long, and adjustable, to move up and down with the tide. Liverpool began as a fishing village in the 13th century, and its present, comparatively modern, form derives from its rapid growth during the 18th century. Now it concerns itself with many more industries than shipping, but in spite of its transformation the city retains distinctive landmarks, has many cultural features and a flourishing musical and artistic life.
Just above the waterfront stands the fine 18th-century Town Hall. It was designed by John Wood of Bath and completed in 1754. The interior was rebuilt (after a fire) between 1795 and 1802, by John Foster, under James Wyatt, who added the dome in 1802, with Felix Rossi's figure of Minerva, and the portico in 1811. The mirrors in the small ballroom came from Lathom House (Ormskirk) and are probably early 18th-century Italian. The Hall's furniture harmonizes with its architectural period. Then comes the entrance to the Mersey Tunnel, which traffic approaches through an elaborate central traffic scheme, and above this are St George's Hall, the City Museums, the Central Libraries, and Walker Art Gallery.
St George's Hall, with its 60-ft-high Corinthian columns, concert hall and law courts, was designed by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes. It was begun in 1838 and finished by C. R. Cockerell in 1854, seven years after Elmes's death. The Great Hall is 151 ft long, richly finished, and contains a magnificent organ which was rebuilt in 1957 after its war-time destruction.
The City Museums owe their foundation to the 13th Earl of Derby, who bequeathed his natural history collection, and Joseph Mayer, a Liverpool goldsmith, who gave his archaeological and ethnographical collections; Liverpool became famous for its ivories, gold and jewelry, plant collections, fossils, and the Derby collection of birds. The original museum building perished in flames in May 1941, with valuable material. Fortunately much had been sent for safe storage.
The Central Libraries comprise the Picton, Horn and Brown buildings. Picton has the reference library and holds regular exhibitions of its treasures. On the ground floor is the international library which also has regular exhibitions. Hornby has first editions, prints and fine bindings, permanently displayed. Brown has scientific and technical sections.
The Walker Art Gallery, endowed by Sir Andrew Barclay Walker, could well claim the best provincial collection in England. Its early Italian and Flemish works are especially notable. The Sudley Gallery, in a 19th-century house in Mossley Hill Road, has a large British collection. The house and its contents were bequeathed by Miss Holt.
Liverpool (Anglican) Cathedral soars superbly on its lofty site. It was the life work of Sir Giles Gilbert Scott who died in 1964) in his 80th year, still supervising it. Sir Giles's conception is generally Gothic but not really classifiable. The decoration in red sandstone is an integral part of the fabric. A special feature is that the aisles are built as tunnels in the walls. The nave, not yet completed, and the choir lie at opposite ends of what, with the under-tower and transept crossings, is called the central space. The central tower, across the full width of the nave, rises 331 ft above floor level. The vast scale creates an atmosphere of peace and grandeur. Notable are the font, the stained glass in all windows, and the sandstone reredos and sculptured panels.
The Roman Catholic Cathedral is completely different. The foundation stone was laid in 1933 but the design has been completely changed, and its final form, designed by Sir Frederick Gibberd, is a total departure from the original plan by Sir Edwin Lutyens. The building is circular, round the focal point of the high altar; this circle is surmounted by a conical roof capped with a tower of coloured glass by John Piper and Patrick Reyntiens, which throws a pool of light on the altar. The cathedral itself is raised on an upper level, on a concrete base above the crypt completed by Lutyens. Below, the approach road runs right through, with a car park under the nave.
The Philharmonic Hall, home of Liverpool's great orchestra, is on the site of the “Old Phil”, which fire destroyed in 1933. Its acoustics are among the best in Britain. A financial arrangement with the corporation gives the orchestra security. The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Society is at the head of the city's musical fame.
Liverpool has many and varied churches. St Agnes, Sefton Park, is by J. L. Pearson, 1883—5, with a reredos in cream, red and gold. All Hallows, Allerton (1872—6, by Grayson and Ould), has a fine set of Burne-Jones glass made by William Morris. All Saints, Childwall, is medieval with a tower erected in 1810 and an ancient font. The 19th-century St Bridget at Wavertree is graceful and has a Last Supper in mosaic. Also at Waver-tree, Holy Trinity is good Georgian, its classic steeple a landmark, at present awaiting rebuilding. St Mary's, Edge Hill, is neo-Gothic, with clustered columns and handsome doors. St Michael, Toxteth, is also 19th-century, and has a monument to Horrocks, the Hoole astronomer.
Theatres include the well-known Playhouse, and the Everyman. Besides having so many cultural amenities, Liverpool has a large civic university. There are ample facilities for entertainment and sport, and Aintree is 6 miles North. The city is ringed by parks and open spaces, led by Sefton, its “Hyde Park”.
The shopping centre represents a commercial aspect as important, or more so, as the industrial one. Well defined and compact, the main shopping area is Castle Street, Dale Street, Lord Street, Church Street with offshoots, and Bold Street. It has customers as far as the Lakes, the Isle of Man and Ireland, and Liverpool is called the shopping capital of North Wales. The city's airport is Speke, 6 miles South East. Also there is Speke Hall, run by Liverpool Corporation for the National Trust.
Within reach of the city are golf courses, the Lancashire coastal resorts, the Wirral Peninsula and historic Chester.
Nearby towns: Bebington, Birkenhead, Bootle, Eccleston, Ellesmere Port, Formby, Ormskirk, Prescot, Skelmersdale, Southport, St. Helens, Wallasey, Widnes
Nearby villages: Aigburth, Aintree, Bidston, Blundellsands, Bromborough, Caldy, Childwall, Crosby, Deysbrook, Dingle, Fazakerley, Frankby, Garston, Greasby, Halewood, Heswall, Higher Bebington, Huyton, Huyton Quarry, Kirkby, Knowsley, Litherland, Lower Bebington, Maghull, Melling, Moreton, Mossley Hill, New Brighton, New Ferry, Port Sunlight, Prenton, Rainhill, Roby, Rock Ferry, Scarisbrick, Seacombe, Seaforth, Sefton, Speke, Thornton, Thurstaston, Toxteth, Upton, Walton, Wavertree, West Derby, Wirral, Woodchurch, Woolton
Have you decided to visit Liverpool or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a Liverpool bed and breakfast (a Liverpool B&B or Liverpool b and b)
- a Liverpool guesthouse
- a Liverpool hotel (or motel)
- a Liverpool self-catering establishment, or
- other Liverpool accommodation