Visit Kingston upon Hull and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
Hull, East Riding. Almost a new town since the Second World War, when Hull was the hardest hit of any place in the North. Modern new buildings have sprung up in the centre where the lawns, flower-beds and pools of Queen's Gardens cover the site of the first (1778) dock. The city is very proud of its tidy flower-beds. The third largest port in the kingdom, it has docks running for 7 miles on the north bank of the Humber and the country's largest fishing operation. Hull also manufactures oilcake, metal boxes, plastic bags, excavators and caravans. The growing University of Hull and the Colleges of Technology are part of a lively scene.
There was a small settlement at this junction of the Hull and Humber rivers in the 12th century, acquired from the Abbot of Meaux by King Edward I in 1293, when it took the name of Kingston-upon-Hull. The port began to flourish when the patronage of William de la Pole, the biggest merchant of the day, was switched from Hedon. He became the first mayor.
What is now called the Old Town is the section which was bounded by the Hull on the East, the Humber on the South, and a moat on the West and North Docks were built in the moat later. Surviving in the area today are Holy Trinity Church, of the 13th to 15th century with an unusual early brick chancel and seats for 2,000 in the nave alone; a lane called Land of Green Ginger; and Ye Old White Harte Inn, the house where the Governor and others decided not to let King Charles into the city in 1642.
The poet Andrew Marvell was brought to Hull from nearby Winestead at the age of three. Later he represented Hull in Parliament for 18 years. In a town of museums, one of the most interesting is in the old High Street, where William Wilberforce was born in 1759. A wealthy young man about town, he was elected to Parliament at 21 and his monument was the 1833 Act abolishing slavery throughout the Empire. He was known as “the nightingale of the House of Commons”. His home now contains relics of the slave trade, the appropriately furnished room of his birth and other historical mementoes. The Maister's House across the street is another Georgian dwelling, with a splendid staircase. It is used for offices but owned by the National Trust. At the Transport Museum in High Street you can see the excellent archaeological collection, including mosaic paving from a Roman villa at Rudston. A Maritime Museum of Shipping and Fisheries is in Pickering Park. The Hull Trinity House was built in 1753, the headquarters of the guild which in early days controlled pilotage in the Humber and in later times supported a navigational school and welfare services for seamen and their dependants.
Nearby towns: Barton-upon-Humber, Beverley, Brough, Hedon, Hornsea, Immingham, Withernsea
Nearby villages: Barrow upon Humber, Bishop Burton, Burton Constable, Cottingham, Deepdale, Dunswell, East Halton, Eppleworth, Goxhill, Hessle, Horkstow, Lelley, Little Weighton, Meaux, Melton, New Ellerby, New Holland, North Ferriby, North Killingholme, Old Ellerby, Paull, Saxby All Saints, Skidby, Skirlaugh, South Ferriby, Sproatley, Swanland, Swine, Thearne, Thirtleby, Thorngumbald, Thornton Curtis, Walkington, Wawne, Weel, Whitedale, Willerby, Withernwick, Woodmansey, Wyton
Have you decided to visit Kingston upon Hull or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a Kingston upon Hull bed and breakfast (a Kingston upon Hull B&B or Kingston upon Hull b and b)
- a Kingston upon Hull guesthouse
- a Kingston upon Hull hotel (or motel)
- a Kingston upon Hull self-catering establishment, or
- other Kingston upon Hull accommodation