Visit Beverley and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
Beverley, East Riding. The capital of the East Riding is dominated by two churches, almost equally splendid. The minster is the one with two towers. There is no disputing the claim that it is one of the most beautiful churches in Europe. The Early English east end was begun in 1220 and the magnificent Perpendicular west front with its richly pinnacled towers was completed in 1420. John of Beverley built a church here in the 7th century and the town really grew up around the monastery that accompanied it. He became Bishop of Hexham and later Bishop of York and ended his days back here. A slab in the centre of the church marks his vault. He was canonized in 1037 and his burial place was a shrine for pilgrims. The later church erected on the site burnt down and the new minster was begun. It is in the unusual form of a double cross. Inside, amid the immense display of ornament and sculpture, the visitor may note in particular the glorious Percy Shrine - the canopy is regarded as the finest l4th-century work of its kind - which can be viewed best from the reredos gallery; the Frith Stool, or stone sanctuary chair; the biggest collection of misericords in England; and the l2th-century font of Frosterley marble. Nothing is left of the old monastery but a brick wall East of the minster. St Mary's Church, hardly ½mile away, was begun in the 12th century as a chapel to the minster. In rebuilding the nave in the 13th century, the walls were so weakened that the central tower finally collapsed in 1520, killing several worshippers. In restoration, the roofs were repainted in lively medieval fashion. Also noteworthy is the minstrels' pillar in the north arcade.
Beverley is linked by river to Hull, builds trawlers, tans leather and serves as a market centre for the area. In the Saturday Market is a market cross of 1714, an open octagon on steps with pillars supporting the domed roof which displays the arms of England, France, the town and the two Members of Parliament who donated it. The Guildhall is l7th-century with a portico added in 1832. Beverley was protected by a ditch and five drawbridges defended by gates. Only one survives, the North Bar, brick-built in the 15th century.
Nearby cities: Hull
Nearby towns: Brough, Driffield, Hedon, Hornsea, Market Weighton, Pocklington
Nearby villages: Aike, Arnold, Arram, Arras, Beswick, Bishop Burton, Brandesburton, Brantingham, Burshill, Catwick, Cherry Burton, Cottingham, Dunswell, Ellerker, Elloughton, Eppleworth, Etton, Hempholme, High Gardham, High Hunsley, Holme on the Wolds, Kilnwick, Leconfield, Leven, Little Weighton, Long Riston, Lund, Meaux, Middleton-on-the-Wol, Nunkeeling, Riplingham, Rise, Riston Grange, Rotsea, Routh, Scorborough, Skidby, Skirlaugh, South Cave, South Dalton, Swanland, Swine, Thearne, Tickton, Walkington, Watton, Wawne, Weel, Wilfholme, Willerby, Woodmansey
Have you decided to visit Beverley or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a Beverley bed and breakfast (a Beverley B&B or Beverley b and b)
- a Beverley guesthouse
- a Beverley hotel (or motel)
- a Beverley self-catering establishment, or
- other Beverley accommodation