Visit Campbeltown and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
Campbeltown, Argyll and Bute. At the South East end of that long projection of the mainland, Kintyre, Campbeltown has an excellent anchorage at the head of a bay. The town was founded under James VI's policy of establishing places in distant parts to civilize the natives. Taken over by the Earl of Argyll about 1618, the burgh of Lochhead was recognized as Campbeltown in 1667; it got this designation from the family name of the Argylls. In 1700 it was raised to the status of a royal burgh.
For centuries Campbeltown has had herring fishing and coal-mining and other industries; at the end of the 19th century it possessed about 650 boats and thirty distilleries. Boats and distilleries are now vastly reduced. In the 18th century the town - through its position, prominent yet attached to the mainland — had a thriving export trade, and was later connected with whaling. A creamery was founded in 1919, and a clothing factory in 1953—7. It was a centre of R.N. Asdic training during the Second World War.
St Kiaran was an early missionary from Ireland who arrived in Scotland before St Columba. He gave his name to the loch, and that name still lingers on the South West shore, which is called Kilkerran. St Kiaran's cave is on the shore 3 miles South of Campbeltown, and at the Old Quay Head stands a 15th century Celtic cross.
Davaar Island at the mouth of Campbeltown Loch has a lighthouse. On the same island, but on the southern shore, there is a cave, on the rock of which Archibald MacKinnon painted the Crucifixion scene in 1887. The cave and painting are illuminated only by a shaft of daylight from a natural hole in the rock. Protected though it is, the painting was retouched by the artist later in his life, and again by a local artist in 1956.
Campbeltown is very much a tourist holiday centre. It has a mild climate and a rocky beach with plenty of sea angling. There is excellent golf. For some decades listeners to the radio in Scotland have been familiar with the excellent singing of the Campbeltown Gaelic Choir.
Kintyre, with Campbeltown as its biggest centre, is the longest and most distinctive promontory from the Scottish mainland. From South Argyll, and between the Atlantic Ocean and the Firth of Clyde, it stretches due South for 40 miles.
It is joined to the mainland by the isthmus of Tarbert, and by the tenuous connection only just fails to be one of the largest of the Hebrides. Indeed, King Haakon of Norway claimed Kintyre as one of his Hebridean possessions. He lost it to Scotland at the Battle of Largs.
Nearby islands: Isle of Gigha, Isle of Islay
Nearby towns: Inveraray, Lochgilphead
Nearby villages: Bellochantuy, Carradale, Cleongart, Drumlemble, Glenbarr, Kilchenzie, Kildalloig, Machrihanish, Saddell, Southend, Tarbert
Have you decided to visit Campbeltown or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a Campbeltown bed and breakfast (a Campbeltown B&B or Campbeltown b and b)
- a Campbeltown guesthouse
- a Campbeltown hotel (or motel)
- a Campbeltown self-catering establishment, or
- other Campbeltown accommodation