Visit Bridlington and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
Bridlington, East Riding. This used to be the most “genteel” of the Yorkshire seaside resorts; it is simply one of the most popular now. Protected on the North East by the great headland of Flamborough, it lies near the top of Bridlington Bay with long stretches of fine sand both North and South of the harbour. A small fishing fleet still sails from here. Stones from the old priory were used to build the two harbour piers and there is some fishing-village atmosphere in the houses that cluster near the waterside. It figured dramatically in history on 22 February 1643 when Queen Henrietta Maria landed from Holland with arms for Charles I. The vessels were bombarded by Parliamentary ships. As the cannon-balls “sang merrily” around her, the Queen took refuge in a ditch, later moving on to Boynton Hall.
The great attraction of old Bridlington, 1 mile inland, is the Church of St Mary. It includes the nave of the Augustinian priory founded here in about 1119 by Walter de Gant and was saved from destruction at the Dissolution because it was already in use as a parish church. Next to Beverley Minster, it is considered the finest ecclesiastical building in the East Riding. It was restored in the mid-l9th century. Portions to linger over are the richly decorated north porch, the beautiful west doorway beneath a huge window, and the l4th-century south aisle. The north-west tower has a plain Early English parapet but the rebuilt south-west tower has crocketed pinnacles in l5th-century style. Inside is a black grave slab on two low pedestals which may belong to William de Gant. it is carved with two dragons, a cat, and a fox and crane drinking from a jug. It has been used as a bread table for distributing food to the poor.
The priory's Bayle Gate across the green was built in 1388 and was, at various times, the prior's courtroom, a sailors' prison, a barracks and a school. Now it is a museum. This priory was wealthy and had several important figures, including John who worked miracles before and after his death in 1379. The last prior was hanged at Tyburn for his part in the Pilgrimage of Grace.
William Kent, the first English architect to design furniture, was born here in 1685. The 18th-century Sewerby Hall, on the cliffs North East of the town centre, is a Corporation art gallery with interesting gardens.
Boynton, a neighbour to the North West, has pretty cottages and a Tudor hall, altered in the 18th century and open by appointment. The church close to the hail gates is medieval with nave and chance! rebuilt in brick in 1768 by John Carr. One Strickland family monument is attributed to William Kent.
Nearby towns: Driffield, Filey, Hornsea
Nearby villages: Atwick, Barmston, Beeford, Bempton, Bessingby, Boynton, Buckton, Burton Agnes, Burton Fleming, Carnaby, Dringhoe, Flamborough, Folkton, Fordon, Foston on the Wolds, Fraisthorpe, Gembling, Gransmoor, Great Driffield, Great Kelk, Grindale, Gristhorpe, Haisthorpe, Harpham, Hunmanby, Kilham, Lissett, Little Kelk, Lowthorpe, Muston, Nafferton, North Frodingham, Octon, Reighton, Rotsea, Rudston, Ruston Parva, Sewerby, Skerne, Skipsea, Speeton, Thornholme, Thwing, Ulrome, Wansford, Wilsthorpe
Have you decided to visit Bridlington or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a Bridlington bed and breakfast (a Bridlington B&B or Bridlington b and b)
- a Bridlington guesthouse
- a Bridlington hotel (or motel)
- a Bridlington self-catering establishment, or
- other Bridlington accommodation