Visit Wolverhampton and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
Wolverhampton, West Midlands. A flaming brazier and a padlock are included in the coat of arms of Wolverhampton. Today these are more obviously symbolic of this ‘Capital of the Black Country’ than the cross, ascribed to the Anglo-Saxon King Edgar, and the woolpack, which are also in the arms and hint at Wolverhampton's beginnings. The town was first referred to as Heantun in a royal charter of 985. The name later became Wulfrunishamtun, after Wuifrun, a Mercian lady.
The Church of St Peter, in red stone, approached by a flight of wide steps, standing near the heart of the town with something of the grandeur of a small cathedral. The oldest parts are the arches under the square, 15th-century tower, which date from 1205. There was an earlier monastery on the site, refounded in 994 by the Lady Wuifrun, a translation of whose charter hangs in the vestry. The south chapel dates from 1350 and the nave, with its unusual double clerestory windows, from about 100 years later. The l5th-century carved stone pulpit, with its staircase winding round one of the nave pillars, is very rare. In the north chapel are monuments to members of the Lane family, one of whom helped Charles II escape from Boscobel
House after the Battle of Worcester in 1651. Another monument worth seeing is the strong, bronze statue of Admiral Sir Richard Leveson, carved by Hubert Le Sueur in the early years of the 17th century. Outside the south door of the church stands an ancient carved pillar, believed to be the remains of a column dragged from one of the nearby Roman sites by 9th-century Anglo-Saxons.
There are two unusual features about Wolverhampton's other town church, St John's. Built in 1760 it could be mistaken at first for St Martin-In-The-Fields in London; and it has one of the most famous organs in England, built by Renatus Harris about 1683. The instrument came to St John's by accident. After being for many years in Christ Church Cathedral in Dublin, it was replaced by a new instrument. The maker of this took the old organ in part exchange and it had reached Wolverhampton on its way to London when its owner died. His widow sold it to St John's for £500.
Wolverhampton possesses a fine municipal art gallery and museum in Lichfield Street, with a good collection of English enamels and early Staffordshire pottery, and pictures by Romney, Turner and Gainsborough, among others. At Bantock House, in 43 acres of grounds 1 miles from the town centre, there are exhibits illustrating the town's industrial history: japanning, cut steel and locksmiths' work; also a collection of beautiful English porcelain.
Within reach of the town are a number of historic houses including Moseley Old Hall, Wightwick Manor, Chittington Hall and Himley Hall. Chillington Hall, 8 miles north, is a fine Georgian house with gardens landscaped by Capability Brown and a magnificent avenue of trees; it is occasionally open to view. Himley Hall, owned by the Wolverhampton and Dudley Councils, is not open to the public but the extensive grounds are, including the Great Pool, in which fishing is available. Not far from Himley Hall is the village of Wombourne; the spired church, with a unique dedication to St Benedict Biscop, overlooks one of the few remaining walled-in cricket grounds in England.
Nearby cities: Birmingham
Nearby towns: Bridgenorth, Brownhills, Cannock, Dudley, Rugeley, Shifnal, Stafford, Sutton Colefield, Telford, Walsall, West Bromwich
Nearby villages: Bloxwich, Coalbrookdale, Codsall, Essington, Featherstone, Moseley Village
Have you decided to visit Wolverhampton or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a Wolverhampton bed and breakfast (a Wolverhampton B&B or Wolverhampton b and b)
- a Wolverhampton guesthouse
- a Wolverhampton hotel (or motel)
- a Wolverhampton self-catering establishment, or
- other Wolverhampton accommodation