Visit Eyemouth and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
Eyemouth, Scottish Borders, is a busy fishing town and holiday resort on the Eye Water, where it flows into the sea between Flare Point and Nestends. The beach is partly sands' and is suitable for bathing. There is rocky and picturesque coast scenery both to the North and South of the bay. At the entrance to the bay are the “Hurcars” rocks, which are almost awash, thus causing fierce breakers. The original harbour was built in 1768, being one of Smeaton's first designs; it was extended at the end of the 19th century. Eyemouth suffered terrible destruction in the great gale of the 14th of October 1881, when half of the fishing fleet (24 boats) was sunk and 129 men drowned.
In 1597 a charter from James VI made Eyemouth a free burgh of barony, with the status of a free port. This led to the growth of smuggling, especially in the 18th and 19th centuries. The narrow alleys and intricate pattern of the town's buildings served as a material aid in evading customs men, and the caves and caverns in the neighbouring cliffs were used as hiding places by the smugglers.
On Hare Point to the North of the town are the remains of the fort, twice built and twice destroyed in the 16th century. The coastguards' watch-house is built on the remains of one earthwork, called the King's Mount.
To the East of the harbour is Gunsgreen, with Gunsgreen House, a Georgian mansion that became a centre of smuggling in the 18th century because of its many secret passages; it has since become a boarding house. The tower nearby, now used as Eyemouth Golf Club-house, is associated with Cromwell's visit to Eyemouth in 1650.
To the South West of the town, overlooking the confluence of the rivers Ale and Eye, is Linthill, an early 17th-century mansion house with crowstepped gables. It was once a seat of the Humes, and the scene of the gruesome and notorious murder in 1751, when the wealthy widow, Mrs Patrick Hume, was killed by her butler. He was surprised rifling her possessions, and cut her throat when she grappled with him. The old lady groped her way to the bell and summoned the other servants, whereupon Ross leapt from the window, broke his leg, was taken and hanged. Mrs Patrick Hume is buried in the old church of Bunkle.
Nearby towns: Ayton, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Dunbar, Duns
Nearby villages: Allanton, Burnmouth, Chirnside, Coldingham, East Ord, Foulden, Horncliffe, Lamberton, Marshall Meadows, Middle Ord, Spittal, St Abbs, Tweedmouth, West Ord
Have you decided to visit Eyemouth or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a Eyemouth bed and breakfast (a Eyemouth B&B or Eyemouth b and b)
- a Eyemouth guesthouse
- a Eyemouth hotel (or motel)
- a Eyemouth self-catering establishment, or
- other Eyemouth accommodation