Visit East Kilbride and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire is now noted for its “New Town” — the first of Scotland's new satellite towns to be established after the Second World War.
This, one of the oldest villages in Scotland, with historical associations dating back to the 12th century, was made a burgh of barony in the reign of Queen Anne; it then had a weekly market and three annual fairs. The name indicates that this place was one of the many Celtic foundations dedicated to St Bride or Bridget. The church dates from different periods, having the date 1774 carved above the tower entrance, with an unusual open crown tower put on during the 19th century reconstruction — not unlike that of the Tolbooth at Glasgow. There is an 18th century mausoleum of the Stuarts of Torrance Castle, and near to the church entrance is an old mounting-stone. In the village the first Scottish meeting of the Society of Friends took place in 1653.
A little North of the old village is the 13th century Mains Castle, for long a ruin but was restored. Originally it had been given to John Lindsay for his help in murdering the Red Comyn at Dumfries — the somewhat shady event that yet gloriously led to Bannockburn. The farm of Laigh Mains by the roadside has a model of the Castle in its garden.
Nearly 2 miles East is Long Calderwood House, the birthplace of William and John Hunter, the 18th century anatomists. To the South is Torrance House, now the headquarters of the East Kilbride Development Corporation. The oldest parts date from the 14th century, but there are many later additions. It was the former home of the Stuarts of Castlemilk.
About 1 mile East is Mount Cameron Farm, home of Mrs Jean Cameron from 1746 to her death in 1773. She was associated with Prince Charles Edward Stuart in the '45, and legends in England and the South grew up about the allegedly powerful influence of Jeannie Cameron in Jacobite politics. She was amongst other accusations credited as being a “glamorous spy”, a Mata Han of the '45.
To turn from the '45 to the modern and enthusiastically growing modern town, it should be stressed that this was the first of all the post-war Scottish New Towns. It was, in a sense, experimental; and the experiment has succeeded. Its success did not mean, however, that all its features were followed in the shape and intention of the New Towns which came after it.
Cumbernauld, for instance, has emphasized its compactness, while keeping each of its houses individual. East Kilbride's wider acreage does, however, allow it a much more ample spread. With the historical centre of Torrance House as the site for its Development Council it stretches out in all directions, and really presents the appearance of a town with suburbs of its own.
Nearby cities: Glasgow
Nearby towns: Bothwell, Hamilton, Kilmarnock, Strathaven
Nearby villages: Bailleston, Bellshill, Blantyre, Burnside, Busby, Calvay, Cambuslang, Cardonald, Cathcart, Chapelton, Clarkston, Coatbridge, Eaglesham, Finnieston, Giffnock, Glassford, Govan, Hillington, Kings Park, Kinning Park, Linthouse, Mansewood, Motherwell, Mount Vernon, Nerston, Netherlee, Newton Mearns, Nitshill, Partick, Pollok, Polmadie, Quarter, Renfrew, Rutherglen, Sandford, Shieldhall, Stamperland, Stonehouse, Thornliebank, Thorntonhall, Tollcross, Tradeston, Uddingston, Waterfoot, Woodfarm
Have you decided to visit East Kilbride or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a East Kilbride bed and breakfast (a East Kilbride B&B or East Kilbride b and b)
- a East Kilbride guesthouse
- a East Kilbride hotel (or motel)
- a East Kilbride self-catering establishment, or
- other East Kilbride accommodation