Visit Corbridge and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
Corbridge, Northumberland, with its lofty trees and charming stone-built houses, is steadily becoming more attractive the more it is “discovered” by Tynesiders. It is on the River Tyne, 16 miles West of Newcastle and at many times in its long history has been of considerable importance. The town probably grew out of its proximity to the Roman camp at Corstopitum and the later presence of an Anglo-Saxon monastery. In its medieval heyday, Corbridge had four churches, two peel-towers, a mint and two burgesses in the first English parliament. It was burnt three times in the period of border clashes. In the 18th-century, travellers reported that it was filthy and populated by half-fed, sallow people. But by the 19th century it had recovered enough to be considered a bracing health resort.
St Andrew's Church is the most important Anglo-Saxon survival in the county after the crypt at Hexham across the river. Lower parts of the slender tower are dated before 786 and there are two Anglo-Saxon windowheads in the nave. A few Norman features are evident, but most of the present building dates to the 13th century. An interior tower arch is a Roman gateway, transported intact.
Low Hall at the east end of the main street has a peel-tower of about 1500 in a later house. Opposite is Monks Holme, a former inn said to be on the monastery site. The fortified vicarage near the churchyard dates to 1318. Other interesting domestic buildings are the 17th- to 18th-century. Angel Inn and the 1700 Heron House.
The seven-arch bridge was built in 1674. It was the only bridge to withstand the great Tyne flood of 1771. The good footing on this stretch of the river probably accounts for the location of Corstopitum here.
A walk 14 miles North East takes the visitor to Aydon Castle, a choice example of a medieval fortified manor house now belonging to the Ministry of Public Building and Works. Dilston Castle is 14 miles to the South West, a ruin in a delightful wood.
Corstopitum, 4 miles to the West, was at the junction of the Roman roads Dere Street, running North from York, and Stanegate, joining with Carlisle. It was 24 miles South of Hadrian's Wall. The site was first excavated in 1201 by King John's men, searching for treasure. The first systematic examination of the site was in 1906—14 and work resumed in 1934. The Ministry now has custody.
The camp served successively as a fort, supply base for actions against the Picts, and an arsenal with a large civilian settlement. The excavated portion discloses the foundations of the headquarters building, two military compounds, two temples, granaries, a spring-fed fountain, and an imposing storehouse.
Nearby towns: Consett, Haydon Bridge, Hexham, Otterburn
Nearby villages: Acomb, Aydon, Barrasford, Chollerford, Chollerton, Colwell, Ebchester, Elrington, Fourstones, Great Swinburn, Gunnerton, Harlow Hill, Humshaugh, Ingoe, Matfen, Mickley, Newbrough, Newlands, Nunwick, Ovingham, Prudhoe, Riding Mill, Ryal, Sandhoe, Shotley Bridge, Slaley, Stagshaw Bank, Stamfordham, Stocksfield, Wall, Wall Houses, Warden, Whittonstall
Have you decided to visit Corbridge or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a Corbridge bed and breakfast (a Corbridge B&B or Corbridge b and b)
- a Corbridge guesthouse
- a Corbridge hotel (or motel)
- a Corbridge self-catering establishment, or
- other Corbridge accommodation