Visit Thornhill and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
Thornhill, Dumfries and Galloway, lies in the midst of the fertile basin of mid-Nithsdale, a little East of the Nith; its broad street is lined with lime trees. In the centre of the town, at the crossroads, stands a column (reduced in height after a storm some years ago) surmounted by the winged horse of the Queensberry family. This monument was erected in 1714. Near the town, the fine Northumbrian cross at Boatford marks the old ferry and ford. The famous collection of local and foreign natural history, archaeological, ethnographical, and industrial material, made in the middle of the last century by Dr Thomas Boyle Grierson and housed for nearly a century in the Grierson Museum, is now disbanded; part of the collection can be seen at Dumfries Museum.
At Dalgarnock, 2 miles South of Thornhill, is a cross commemorating 57 Nithsdale Covenanters who gave their lives in various parts of the country.
Some 3 miles West South West, the village of Penpont stands on the line of the old pilgrim's track to Whithorn. On the smithy at Keir, 1 mile South East of Penpont, is an inscription to Kirkpatrick Macmillan, who was born there, and who invented the bicycle in 1839. The original machine is in the Science Museum in London.
Tynron Doon, a spectacular hill-fort, raises its volcanic profile 14 miles West of Penpont, and commands an extensive view from the top.
Some 2 miles North North West of Thornhill, where the road forks to picturesque Dalveen Pass, is the village of Carronbridge. West of the village across the River Nith are the ruins of Tibbers Castle, rebuilt in 1298, garrisoned for the English, and destroyed by Bruce in 1311.
Crichope Linn, about 2 miles East of Thornhill, is a ravine of great natural beauty in carbomferous rocks, with a natural arch and a deep cauldron.
Drumlanrig, the home of the Duke of Buccleuch, lies 34 miles North North West of Thornhill. The present house was built between 1676 and 1689 for the 1st Duke of Queensberry by Sir William Bruce, and nearly ruined the family. The 1st Duke spent only one night there, and then lived at Sanquhar. The Duke of Buccleuch succeeded to lands and title in 1810. The state rooms are oak panelled, with Grinling Gibbons carving. There are portraits and fine silver, and a chandelier, which was a wedding gift from Charles II to the Duke of Monmouth.
Nearby towns: Dumfries, Kirkconnel, Lochmaben, New Galloway, Sanquhar
Nearby villages: Amisfield Town, Auchencairn, Auldgirth, Blackwood, Carronbridge, Closeburn, Crawick, Dalswinton, Drumpark, Drumwhirn, Duncow, Dunscore, Durisdeer, Eliock, Enoch, Enterkinfoot, Holywood, Kirkpatrick, Kirkton, Locharbriggs, Lochend, Maxwelton, Mennock, Moniaive, Penpont, Tinwald, Torthorwald, Tynron
Have you decided to visit Thornhill or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a Thornhill bed and breakfast (a Thornhill B&B or Thornhill b and b)
- a Thornhill guesthouse
- a Thornhill hotel (or motel)
- a Thornhill self-catering establishment, or
- other Thornhill accommodation