Visit Much Hadham and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
Much Hadham, Hertfordshire. This well-preserved village is perhaps the most attractive in the county. Its long main street is filled with buildings of fine quality.
There are gabled l7th-century houses such as North Leys, built in chequered brick, its canopy above the straight door supported by carved brackets. From the windows of the old Red Lion Inn can be seen meadows edged with lime trees. The Lordship, mid-l8th-century, is a large country gentleman's house with its own stables. It has two stories with nine bays, a Tuscan porch and, at the rear, a wing of what was probably part of a Tudor mansion.
The New Manor House is a Victorian building, picturesque but architecturally rather dull. Overhanging cottages adjoin Woodham House, of the 17th century, with its fine exposed timbers, symmetrical gables and doorcase of a later period. Old House and Green Shutters also have fine timbers.
Much Hadham Hall is the most splendid mansion in the village. Standing beside a massive tree, the house, built in 1735, has a central Venetian window, a sloping roof and, beside the stables, an arched carriageway with four windows on each side. Camden Cottage and Castle House are both delightful, the latter in white with a 19th-century front and Gothic porch. Morris Cottage, also with exposed timbers, is probably of the 16th century, and nearby is the 18th-century Moor Place, set in large grounds. It has blank arches on the entrance side of the ground floor and a fine interior with good fireplaces. The south wing was added in 1907.
St Andrew's Church is large with a complicated history. Although originally a l2th-century church, apparently nothing remains of that period. Rebuilding began with the chancel c. 1220, with its blocked north lancet window, then the south aisle, c. 1250, and the north aisle, c. 1300. The tower was added in 1382—1404 and has three stages and a tall spire. The clerestory, roofs and south porch were added in the 15th century, when many windows were renewed. The screen has panel tracery and is also of the 15th century, as are the stalls with poppyheads. There are two large rare c. 1400 chairs. Several brasses are interesting, in particular one of Judith Aylmer, wife of the Bishop of London.
Standing near the church is the Palace, for 800 years the country residence of the Bishops of London, and the birthplace of Edmund Tudor, father of Henry VII. It is a long brick house in which the old tie-beams are visible. The magnificent staircase and panelling are Jacobean.
The Rectory, South of the churchyard, is early 17th-century.
Nearby towns: Bishop's Stortford, Buntingford, Harlow, Hoddesdon, Ware
Nearby villages: Albury, Ardeley, Aspenden, Bayford, Berden, Birchanger, Braughing, Broxbourne, Cottered, Elsenham, Farnham, Furneux Pelham, Great Amwell, Great Hallingbury, Great Hormead, Great Munden, Great Parndon, Hatfield Broad Oak, Hatfield Heath, Hertford, Hertingfordbury, Hoddesdon, Hormead, Little Amwell, Little Hadham, Little Hormead, Little Munden, London Stansted Airport, Manuden, Matching, Potter Street, Puckeridge, Quendon, Roydon, Sacomb, Sawbridgeworth, Sheering, Standon, Stanstead Abbots, Stansted Mountfitche, Stocking Pelham, Thorley, Thundridge, Ugley, Westmill, Whempstead, Widford
Have you decided to visit Much Hadham or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a Much Hadham bed and breakfast (a Much Hadham B&B or Much Hadham b and b)
- a Much Hadham guesthouse
- a Much Hadham hotel (or motel)
- a Much Hadham self-catering establishment, or
- other Much Hadham accommodation