Visit Strathpeffer and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
Strathpeffer, Highland. Until after the First World War, Strathpeffer was a famous spa, whose visitors included a number of foreign royalties. It is now a centre for touring, especially by coach.
The springs — four sulphur and one chalybeate — were known in the North of Scotland by the 1770s, and facilities for visitors were provided at the wells until about 1820, when the first pump-room was built and the place became known outside Scotland. In 1909 a new pump-room was added to the first and the gardens were improved. It was reopened in 1960, and the holiday centre much developed, particularly in facilities for golf, tennis, and dancing.
To the North of the village stands Castle Leod, the seat of the Earl of Cromartie. The Castle was built on an L-plan, with a deep parapet and with bartizans at the angles, by Sir Rorie Mackenzie of Coigach in 1619. To it a South wing was added soon after, probably by his son, and a Victorian extension and addition were built on the North side. The Castle is set in a park with splendid trees, including two Spanish chestnuts planted in 1550 by John Mackenzie of Kintail, ancestor of Sir Rorie; the largest of the trees measures more than 36 ft round the base. Highland games are held in the grounds on the first Saturday in August.
Fishing is available on the Conon and the Blackwater.
Nearby cities: Inverness
Nearby towns: Alness, Beauly, Dingwall, Ullapool
Nearby villages: Bottacks, Conon Bridge, Contin, Evanton, Maryburgh, Muir of Ord
Have you decided to visit Strathpeffer or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a Strathpeffer bed and breakfast (a Strathpeffer B&B or Strathpeffer b and b)
- a Strathpeffer guesthouse
- a Strathpeffer hotel (or motel)
- a Strathpeffer self-catering establishment, or
- other Strathpeffer accommodation