Visit Stokesley and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
Stokesley, North Riding. The immediate charm of this market town at the foot of the Cleveland Hills arises from its wealth of early houses, mainly brick, around an irregular and spacious centre. The scale is small and harmonious. The River Leven runs along one side with many little footbridges across it. There are frequent narrow cobbled passages between houses. At either end of the long market place are the East and West Greens. On an island in the middle, more or less, stands the straightforward 1853 stone Town Hall. Many buildings - both houses and commercial places - have been lovingly kept or restored, but others, regretfully, are in danger of being lost altogether or brutally altered, which will be a great loss. Facing the Town Hall across the market place is the former Manor House, now the Rural District Council offices. It is a simple, three-story stone composition of the 19th century with a wing to the right.
Nearby is the Church of SS. Peter and Paul with its low battlemented tower and small chancel, both Perpendicular, connected by a broad nave of 1771. The path through the churchyard leads across the Leven into a lovely tree-shaded walk which follows the stream as it skirts the town centre, passing modest but interesting houses of the last three centuries. A plaque commemorates Miss Jane Page, a Stokesley native who in 1836 became the first white woman to settle in Victoria, Australia, and in whose memory the trees on Levenside were planted 100 years later. The packhorse bridge is locally thought to be either of 1640 or an 1850 imitation. Near the iron bridge further on, Levenside widens with pretty cottages on either side of the stream. Behind is the well-kept 19th-century Union Mill and a former home of a candle factory. West Green has many pleasant houses with bay windows and also the imposing Handyside, red brick trimmed with stone, now the home of the Bishop of Whitby. Behind the neglected Stone Hall, with its Classical 18th-century façade, is the old Wesley Chapel of 1812, now a brewery.
Nearby towns: Guisborough, Northallerton, Thomaby-on-Tees, Yarm
Nearby villages: Battersby, Cargo Fleet, Chop Gate, Crathorne, Eaglescliffe, East Harlsey, Egglescliffe, Eston, Great Ayton, Kildale, Kirk Levington, Lackenby, Little Ayton, Maltby, Middleton on Leven, Newby, Normanby, Nunthorpe, Osmotherley, Potto, Rudby, Seamer, Sexhow, South Bank, Stockton-on-Tees, Swainby, Teesside County Boro, Upleatham, West Rounton, Yarm
Have you decided to visit Stokesley or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a Stokesley bed and breakfast (a Stokesley B&B or Stokesley b and b)
- a Stokesley guesthouse
- a Stokesley hotel (or motel)
- a Stokesley self-catering establishment, or
- other Stokesley accommodation