Bed & Breakfast Availability

Bed and breakfast availability
Selkirk b&b, guesthouse and hotel accommodation

Selkirk in Scottish Borders

Price per night: To
Star rating:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
Disabled facilities:
Off-street parking:
Wi-Fi in rooms:
Dogs welcome:

Visit Selkirk and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:

Selkirk, Scottish Borders. This royal burgh, standing on a hill overlooking Ettrick Water, was once the site of a Tyronensian abbey founded by Prince David (later King David I) in 1113, which was moved to Kelso in 1128 for greater convenience. It also possessed a royal castle, and in 1204 King William the Lion held parliament here. Now deceptively peaceful, the town was at the centre of the Anglo-Scottish wars that raged on the Borders for three centuries. It was burnt by English forces after Flodden in 1513. A Common Riding ceremony still takes place here during which a standard-bearer, representing the town's sole survivor of that disastrous defeat, casts the colours in the market-place. A statue erected in 1913 shows him bearing a captured English standard. As late as 1540 King James V described the burgh as “often burned, harried and destroyed”, and on another occasion he enjoined it to choose a “warlike” man to be provost.

In the triangular market-place stands a statue of Sir Walter Scott, who had close associations with the burgh in his capacity of sheriff of the county from 1799 to 1832. An undistinguished lawyer and a political reactionary in an age of reform, he won worldwide acclaim as author of the Waverley novels. In the Sheriff Court House his chair and some of his letters may be seen. At the other end of the High Street is a statue of Mungo Park, the African missionary and explorer, who was born at Foulshiels, 4 miles to the West, in 1771. Off the South end of the market-place is the 17th-century Halliwell's Close, with its museum of ironmongery, containing old cooking and other domestic and rural implements. Near the West end of the town is a plaque over a shop doorway marking the site of the house in which that brilliant military adventurer, the Marquess of Montrose, stayed on the eve of his final defeat in 1645 at the Battle of Philiphaugh, which was fought on the flat land 3 miles West of Selkirk, up the valley of the River Yarrow. Selkirk's chief industry was formerly shoemaking, but this has now been superseded by the manufacture of tweed and other woollen goods.

Nearby towns: Galashiels, Hawick, Innerleithen, Melrose, Moffat, Newstead

Nearby villages: Ancrum, Ashkirk, Clovenfords, Denholm, Dryburgh, Earlston, Ettrickbridge, Lilliesleaf, Newtown St. Boswells, St Boswells, Stow, Traquair, Tweedbank, Walkerburn

Have you decided to visit Selkirk or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:

  • a Selkirk bed and breakfast (a Selkirk B&B or Selkirk b and b)
  • a Selkirk guesthouse
  • a Selkirk hotel (or motel)
  • a Selkirk self-catering establishment, or
  • other Selkirk accommodation

Accommodation in Selkirk:

Find availability in a Selkirk bed and breakfast, also known as B&B or b and b, guesthouse, small hotel, self-catering or other accommodation.