Visit Seaton Delaval and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
Seaton Delaval, Northumberland. Seaton Delaval Hall is held by many to be Vanbrughs masterpiece. No other work of the architect is so “mature, so compact and so powerful”. Pevsner says. No expense was spared when Admiral George Delaval commissioned a new mansion that would compare with Castie Howard or any other great house. It took 10 years and was finished in 1728, five years after the admiral's death from a fall from his horse. His nephew, Captain Francis Blake-Delaval, inherited. He had a family of eight sons and five daughters and they led a happy and spendthrift life.
The house, said a visitor, was “an italian palace, and the grounds were a perfect fairyland”. The Delavals loved entertainments and on one occasion borrowed Drury Lane Theatre for their own production of Othello. The House of Commons adjourned two hours early to attend. The captain's son, Sir Francis, was fond of practical jokes, such as suddenly lowering the beds of guests into cold baths in the middle of the night. He was also, it should be added, an M.P. of talent.
Built in the Palladian style, Seaton Delaval consists of a central block with a great entrance flanked by huge Tuscan pillars and dominated by a lofty portico. On either side are long wings. Visitors can tour the uninhabited main block with its statuary, spiral staircases and room of historic documents; the modernized west wing, now the family residence of the owner, Lord Hastings; and the stables in the east wing. The 18th century gardens have been restored.
The hall was burnt twice, stood without a roof for 50 years and was used by the military in both World Wars. It was nearly derelict when the restoration work began more than 20 years ago. Medieval banquets with traditional entertainments, costume and pageantry are held here for the public most evenings.
In the grounds is the tiny Norman church, consecrated in 1102 as a family chapel, and made into a parish church in 1891. The nave has its original west door and broad arch with zigzag ornament leading into the chancel. There are two 13th century effigies of a knight and a lady.
Seaton Sluice is the harbour built by Sir Ralph Delaval in the early 17th century at the outlet of Seaton Burn. It was a flourishing port for two centuries.
Adjacent cities/towns/villages: Ashington, Backworth, Bebside, Bedlington, Blaydon, Blyth, Bothal, Cambois, Choppington, Cowpen, Cramlington, Cullercoats, Derwent Haugh, Dinnington, Dudley, East Howdon, Fenham, Forest Hall, Gosforth, Hartley, Heaton, Hebburn, Hepscott, High Heaton, Hirst, Jarrow, Jesmond, Kenton, Killingworth, Longbenton, Low Walker, Monkseaton, Monkton, Morpeth, Murton, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Newsham, North Shields, Old Walker, Pegswood, Scotswood, Seaton Burn, Seaton Sluice, Seghill, Shiremoor, South Shields, Stannington, Town Moor, Tynemouth, Walker, Walker Gate, Wallsend, Westoe, Whitley Bay, Willington Quay, Woolsington
Have you decided to visit Seaton Delaval or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a Seaton Delaval bed and breakfast (a Seaton Delaval B&B or Seaton Delaval b and b)
- a Seaton Delaval guesthouse
- a Seaton Delaval hotel (or motel)
- a Seaton Delaval self-catering establishment, or
- other Seaton Delaval accommodation