Visit Port William and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
Port William, Dumfries and Galloway. A small seaport on the East side of Luce Bay, with a safe harbour, Port William was founded in 1770 by Sir William Maxwell of Monreith.
About 1 mile East from Port William is Monreith House, which was built in 1799. On a lawn near the house is a notable free-standing, wheel-headed cross, 7 ft 6 in. high; it is thought to have come from the ancient chapel of Kirkmaiden-in-Fernis (now restored), which stands on the shore of Luce Bay. In the grounds of Monreith House is the White Loch; a legend says that only half of it ever freezes. Round it were beautiful gardens and a park. The Maxwell family owned land here from the 15th century, and lived here from the 17th century.
Some 5 miles North West of Port William is Chapel Finian, a small chapel or oratory dating from the 10th or 11th century, which may be compared with other small, early chapels found in Ireland and other Celtic lands.
Monreith Bay, l½ miles South, which is the only sandy bay on a long stretch of rocky coast, is a popular little resort.
Nearby towns: Newton Stewart, Stranraer, Wigtown
Nearby villages: Bladnoch, Carsluith, Castlewigg, Creetown, Eldrig, Garlieston, Glasserton, Glenluce, Isle of Whithorn, Kirkinner, Mochrum, Monreith, Portyerrock, Prestrie, Sorbie, Whauphill, Whithorn
Have you decided to visit Port William or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a Port William bed and breakfast (a Port William B&B or Port William b and b)
- a Port William guesthouse
- a Port William hotel (or motel)
- a Port William self-catering establishment, or
- other Port William accommodation