Visit Much Wenlock and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
Much Wenlock, Shropshire. The changes of the last few centuries have been superficial in this small market town, so it has kept a great deal of its medieval character. The two most scenic approaches are the roads running either side of Wenlock Edge: the B4371 from Church Stretton along the northern escarpment of the Edge, and the B4368 from Craven Arms up through the lovely Corvedale. There are splendid views from the 84371 where the ground falls away sharply from Wenlock Edge; and a few miles short of Much Wenlock are a string of sizable limestone quarries, still being worked.
Much Wenlock's most famous attraction is its ruined priory. Originally founded as a convent by St Mildburga in the 7th century, the Danes destroyed it in the late 9th century. It was rebuilt about 100 years later at the instigation of Lady Godiva, but was razed again by the Normans. The final restoration was begun in 1080 by Roger de Montgomery when it became a Cluniac priory, and it is the remains of this, with subsequent additions, which the visitor can see today. There remain considerable parts of the west front; the walls of the chapter house, one of them with a remarkable pattern of interlaced Norman arches; the 13th-century south transept; parts of the broken columns; a fragment of the monks' lavatory; and pieces of sculpture.
Not far from the priory stands the old Guild-hall, black and white, built on the sturdy oak arches of the butter market. It is still in use as a court and also houses the Council Chamber. In the courtroom, over the presiding magistrate's chair, is a curious inscription, dated 1589, in which the nouns in the top line have to be associated with the verbs immediately below them in the bottom line to make sense. The old stocks, on wheels, are preserved.
Parts of the Parish Church of Holy Trinity are Norman but the best of this work is hidden: the Normans added a tower to the west front after the church had been built. There is a 14th-century porch with a room built over it which is kept as it was in the days when it served as the deacon's living quarters.
Picturesque houses abound in Much Wenlock. Those in the Bull Ring are notable; also the 15th-century house near St Owen's Well which has an archway made of three pairs of oak boughs.
Within striking distance of the town are two more historic houses which are open to the public: the romantic-looking, l6th-century stone house, Benthall Hall, 4 miles North East, with its fine, original plaster ceiling and unusual carved oak staircase; and Shipton Hall, 6 miles South West, an Elizabethan manor house with a beautiful garden. In the district is Coalbrookdale, the site of the ironworks where iron was first successfully smelted with coke and a place of great importance in the Industrial Revolution of the late 18th century.
Nearby towns: Bridgnorth, Church Stretton, Shrewsbury, Telford, Wellington
Nearby villages: Acton Burnell, Acton Round, Aldenham, Allscott, Astley Abbots, Atcham, Barrow, Bourton, Bridgnorth, Broseley, Buildwas, Chetton, Coalbrookdale, Coalport, Cound, Cressage, Dawley, Ditton Priors, Eardington, Easthope, Frodesley, Glazeley, Haughton, Horsehay, Hughley, Ironbridge, Kemberton, Kenley, Ketley, Lawley Bank, Leaton, Longville in the Dal, Madeley, Malins Lee, Manor, Monkhopton, Morville, Neenton, Pitchford, Presthope, Quatford, Rushbury, Shipton, Stanton Long, Stockton, Sutton Maddock, Telford, Willey, Wombridge, Wroxeter
Have you decided to visit Much Wenlock or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a Much Wenlock bed and breakfast (a Much Wenlock B&B or Much Wenlock b and b)
- a Much Wenlock guesthouse
- a Much Wenlock hotel (or motel)
- a Much Wenlock self-catering establishment, or
- other Much Wenlock accommodation