Visit and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
Mold, Flintshire, the county town of Flintshire stands 6 miles South of the town of Flint. Its main attraction now is the picturesque High Street and the parish church, dating from the 15th century with its interesting roof, glass, and animal frescoes. To the North of the town, on Bailey Hill, the Norman Lord Robert de Monte Alto set his motte-and-bailey knight's castle on a mound. Nothing of either remains, but it is supposed that a contraction of Mont-Alt gave Mold its present name. It is called in Welsh Yr Wyddgrug (the Forest Heath).
Today Mold is a busy meeting-point for many traffic routes, and seems always to have been one. The Roman road to Canovium, now Caerhun, near Conwy, and Verae, probably St Asaph rather than Bodfari. passed close by Mold and an obelisk at Waun, 1 mile to the West, shows where, about AD. 430, a victory was won by the British of the neighbourhood against some enemy advancing along this route from the North. It is known as the Alleluia Victory, since Bede records an account of it in which a St Garmon, sent to propagate the Catholic faith in Britain, routed the opposing forces by hiding his troops until, with a great cry of “Alleluia!”, they startled the enemy into flight. Some doubt has been thrown on this story by eminent Welsh scholars, who point out that the very name Garmon seems to be not much more than the Welsh word for an outcry, “garm”. But we can safely believe that along the Roman road a battle was fought at that time between supporters of one Christian belief and those of another.
South West of Mold, at Llanarmon-yn-Ial, is a church, double-naved in the usual style of this part of Wales, with a figure of the Virgin possibly brought there from the Monastery of Valle Crucis at the time of the Dissolution. It contains the tomb of Gruffydd ap Llywelyn (about 1350) and a monument to one Evan Lloyd (1639). A little beyond Llanferres is the Three Loggerheads Inn, with a signboard allegedly painted by the Welsh artist Richard Wilson. It was near here that he died in 1782 in Colomendy Hall, a house he had inherited from his brother. He began his life at Penegoes in Montgomeryshire and, after years of struggle and success in Italy and London, returned here to end his days in peace. He is buried in the churchyard at Mold, and has a window dedicated to his fame.
In Mold itself there are memorials to a great name in the native Welsh literature of the 19th century. The inn called the Mostyn Arms bears a notice of the National Eistcddfod of 1873, of which Daniel Owen, the novelist and social critic was Chairman. The troubles that accompanied the industrial development of the country and the birth of the new trades union movement were deeply felt in Mold. In his novels, written in Welsh, Daniel Owen reflected the changes of the time with the shrewd character-sketches he made of his contemporaries. But in his writing there is always a strong sense of the simplicity of life his generation seemed to be leaving behind. Opinions vary, but for some Gwen Tomos is the best of his works. He can be called the Thomas Hardy of Wales, but a Hardy without the pleasures of despair.
Nearby towns: Buckley, Corwen, Denbigh, Flint, Holywell, Ruthin
Nearby villages: Bagillt, Broughton, Brymbo, Caergwrle, Caerwys, Cefn-y-Bedd, Cilcain, Connahs Quay, Ffrith, Graigfechan, Gresford, Halkyn, Hawarden, Hope, Ledsham, Leeswood, Llandegla, Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd, Llanferres, Llangynhafal, Llanrhydd, Llong, Nannerch, Nercwys, Northop, Northop, Padeswood, Pontybodkin, Puddington, Queensferry, Rhydymwyn, Sandycroft, Shotton, Shotwick, Treuddyn
Have you decided to visit or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a bed and breakfast (a B&B or b and b)
- a guesthouse
- a hotel (or motel)
- a self-catering establishment, or
- other accommodation