Bed & Breakfast Availability

Bed and breakfast availability
Knebworth b&b, guesthouse and hotel accommodation

Knebworth in Hertfordshire

Price per night: To
Star rating:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
Disabled facilities:
Off-street parking:
Wi-Fi in rooms:
Dogs welcome:

Visit Knebworth and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:

Knebworth, Hertfordshire. Old and New Knebworth are separated from each other by about a mile of delightful countryside. Deard's End, at the top of a hill near the railway station, is a large farm with fine brick and timber barns.

In New Knebworth, on a hillside, is St Martin's Church, built by Lutyens. It is of red brick with stone dressings, without a tower but with extensively projecting roof eaves. Arches on Tuscan columns separate the aisle from the nave, and dividing the crossing from the transepts are two massive Tuscan columns.

Two buildings by Lutyens in the old village are the Golf Club House and Homewood, with its cottage windows on the low ground floor and its five weather-boarded gables.

The Church of SS. Mary and Thomas, surrounded by acres of green fields, is entered by a lych-gate covered with wild roses. The nave, chancel and tower are of the 15th century as are the plain benches. In the low Norman chancel is a blocked Norman window. The l8th century pulpit has carved Flemish panels. The font is of the 15th century and a fine iron screen of a later period crosses the tower arch.

The Lytton Chapel was added at the beginning of the 18th century to contain lavish monuments to the family who have lived at Knebworth for over four centuries. There are three marble tombs as well as other memorials and brasses. The names of Strode and Robinson appearing in the chapel are all part of the Lytton family name.

From the church can be seen Knebworth House which, with its vast park, is open to the public. It started as a Tudor mansion in 1492 and the body of the house still remains. The plastered ceiling in the great hail and the detailed screen are both Jacobean, and the superb panelling in the hall, ending in the reredos which stretches the width of the room, is 17th century. The house was largely rebuilt in 1843 by Sir Edward Bulwer-Lytton, the 1st Lord Lytton, statesman and author of The Last Days of Pompeii. It contains some of his manuscripts, and has fine furnishings, relics and portraits. Many people of literary note stayed here, including Dickens and Disraeli. The grounds are lovely to wander in.

Not far away is the Victorian Lytton Arms built for employees of the big house.

Nearby towns: Luton, Hertford, Stevenage, Ware, Welwyn Garden City

Nearby villages: Ayot St Lawrence, Ayot St Peter, Bragbury End, Bull's Green, Codicote, Datchworth, Oaklands, Old Knebworth, Tewin, Woolmer Green, Walton-at-Stone

Have you decided to visit Knebworth or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:

  • a Knebworth bed and breakfast (a Knebworth B&B or Knebworth b and b)
  • a Knebworth guesthouse
  • a Knebworth hotel (or motel)
  • a Knebworth self-catering establishment, or
  • other Knebworth accommodation

Accommodation in Knebworth:

Find availability in a Knebworth bed and breakfast, also known as B&B or b and b, guesthouse, small hotel, self-catering or other accommodation.