Visit Fowey and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
Fowey, Cornwall, is a popular town with delightfully narrow streets. In the days of the Crusades, Fowey was, with Dartmouth, Exeter and Barnstaple, one of the four most important ports West of Bristol. In 1346 it is said to have produced 47 ships and 770 men for Edward III's blockade of Calais. It remains a thriving port.
During the 14th and 15th centuries few French north-coast towns were without the constant fear of a raid by the “Fowey Gallants”. When Edward IV agreed with the French to stop harrying them, the Fowey men failed to comply, with the result that Edward conspired successfully with the Dartmouth men to steal Fowey's ships.
Relics of its swaggering days are the ruined forts at the river mouth, which formerly had a chain between them to slice off enemy masts. its church (1336), in the town centre, was, till 1684, also used as the town hail. Its 16th-century tower is one of the highest in Cornwall and is beautifully banded with carving; inside is a particularly fine Norman font of catacleuse slate. Place House dates from the early 15th century with later alterations and additions. When Frenchmen. retaliating to the raids of the “Gallants”, invaded the town in 1457, it was the population's refuge in the 19th century it was the home of Joseph Treifry, one of Cornwall's most energetic industrial developers, who built its tower, and it is still the home of the Treifry family.
The best view of the town is from Polruan, which can be reached by a pedestrian ferry.
Polridmouth, 1¾ miles South West, and Polkerris, 1¾ miles West, are pretty coves. Between them, shut in by woodlands, is Menabilly, from the 16th century the home of the Rasleigh family and more recently of Daphne du Maurier. Gribbin Head provides good views and cliffs. Par, 3 miles Nort West, purpose-built as a china-clay port, has vast sands.
Castle Dore, about 2½ miles North, is an Iron Age earthwork which has been connected with the medieval romance of King Mark, Tristram and Iseult. The 6th-century Castle Dore stone, on the FoweyŚLostwithiel road, formerly stood near Castle Dore and is inscribed to the son of a Cunomorus, who may have been King Mark.
Nearby towns: Looe, Lostwithiel, Mevagissey, Par, St. Austell
Nearby villages: Boconnoc, Bodmin, Braddock, Bugle, Dobwalls, Doublebois, Duloe, East Looe, Golant, Lanivet, Lanlivery, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Lanteglos, Lerryn, Liskeard, Luxulyan, Merrymeet, Morval, Pelynt, Pentewan, Polperro, Porthallow, Roche, Sandplace, St. Blazey, St. Ewe, St. Keyne, St. Martin, St. Veep, St. Winnow, Stenalees, Tywardreath, Withiel
Have you decided to visit Fowey or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a Fowey bed and breakfast (a Fowey B&B or Fowey b and b)
- a Fowey guesthouse
- a Fowey hotel (or motel)
- a Fowey self-catering establishment, or
- other Fowey accommodation