Visit Falkirk and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
Falkirk, Falkirk. Now a bustling town in the industrial belt of Scotland, yet within sight of the Highland hills, Falkirk has had a long history. To begin with it was the scene of Roman activity, and there are sections of Antoninus' Wall to the East and West of the town. Lying by the Firth of Forth, with the Campsie Hills to the West, Edinburgh to the East, and the road into the Highlands to the North, its strategic importance led to the two battles of Falkirk. In 1298 William Wallace was overcome by great numbers of English under Edward I. This was the end of Wallace's purely military resistance to the occupying forces. The Wallace Stone is a 10-ft pillar on a hill-top 1 mile South East of Callendar Wood.
In 1746, after his retreat from Derby and from England, Prince Charles Edward Stuart surprised his enemies by beating the Hanoverian forces under General Hawly at Falkirk. They thought they had Prince Charles Edward on the run, but Falkirk was in the Lowlands, and his Highland army was largely intact. It was after they got into the hills on their way North to Inverness that the soldiery began to melt away in their own country.
In 1770 the largest cattle market in Scotland was transferred from Crieff to Falkirk and held there annually until the end of the 19th century. Later, industry developed — iron founding and coal, the former particularly at nearby Carron.
The parish church was founded as early as 1080, but was reconstructed as late as 1811, incorporating the William Adam tower of 1734; the church contains some old carved stones, a crosshead, the 15th century Livingstone arms, and a pair of crudely carved effigies. In the churchyard are monuments to the dead of both battles. The monuments of Sir John Stewart of Buncle and of Sir John de Graham, who fell in 1298, recall the Wallace defeat — these monuments were reconstructed in 1773, but certainly existed well over a century earlier. The monuments to Sir Robert Munro of Foulis and his brother Duncan recall the last Jacobite victory of 1746. The town steeple, 146 ft high, was built on the site of an earlier tower in 1813.
Callendar House, South East of the town centre, has existed in some form for 800 years. In the 14th century it was acquired by the Livingstone family; a later daughter of that family was one of “the Queen's Marys”, and five trees in the grounds were planted by Mary Stuart and her four attendants. In 1606 Falkirk became a burgh of barony, but the earidom was forfeited in 1715. In 1783 William Forbes bought the house and estate; they remained in that family for nearly 200 years. Callendar House is an odd mixture of periods from the 14th to the 19th century. It changed from castle-type in the 17th century to become a symmetrical mansion; in the 19th century, the North front was remodelled and the octagonal turrets disappeared.
Nearby towns: Bonnybridge, Cumbernauld, Grangemouth, Linlithgow, Stirling
Nearby villages: Airth, Avonbridge, Bainsford, Brightons, California, Camelon, Carron, Carronshore, Dennyloanhead, Glen Village, Kincardine, Larbert, Laurieston, Letham, Maddiston, Plean, Polmont, Redding, Reddingmuirhead, Rumford, Shieldhill, Skinflats, Slamannan, Standburn, Stenhousemuir, Tamfourhill, Torphichen, Wallacestone, Westfield, Westfield, Westfield, Westquarter
Have you decided to visit Falkirk or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a Falkirk bed and breakfast (a Falkirk B&B or Falkirk b and b)
- a Falkirk guesthouse
- a Falkirk hotel (or motel)
- a Falkirk self-catering establishment, or
- other Falkirk accommodation