Visit Evesham and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
Evesham, Worcestershire, is an important market town and the centre of the fruit-growing area of the Vale of Evesham. Its tree-lined walks and lawns along the Avon give it both distinction and charm. The precincts of its ancient ruined Benedictine abbey founded in 714 run right down to the river bank. Its two splendid churches share the same churchyard with Clement Lichfield's beautiful 110-ft-high bell-tower built in 1539 between them. Abbot Lichfield was the last of a succession of 55 abbots; for the Dissolution occurred in the same year that work was completed on his tower. Its superb panelled faces, ogee arches and elaborate decoration of its buttresses, together with its delicate pierced parapet and finely ornamental pinnacles, place it among the treasures of English architecture. The oldest part of All Saints' Church dates from the 12th century, although it gives a general impression of being Perpendicular. It has an embattled tower with an octagonal spire. The porch has some intricate heraldic carving made up of the Tudor rose, the fleur de lis, the three ostrich feathers of the Prince of Wales, a rose halved with a pomegranate and a crowned rose. The most rewarding part of this church is the Lady Chapel, built when Clement Lichfield was still Prior and therefore dating from before 1513. Coming through the panelled four-centred arch, the visitor can only be amazed at the richly carved fan vaulting of the roof, springing from shafts at four angles and from the centre of the south wall. The band of quatrefoils beneath the windows is particularly handsome. The Abbot is buried in a marble tomb which lost its brass inscriptions during the Puritan regime. The church has suffered much from Victorian restoration.
On the other side of the bell-tower is the Church of St Laurence, rebuilt on the site of an ancient chapel in the 16th century. It has suffered badly over the centuries from both neglect and poor restoration work. However, the east end of the chance! has some good Perpendicular panelling and the chantry chapel of Abbot Lichfield has a fan tracery roof with a pendant boss. There is some good modem glass by the late Geoffrey Webb. The very fine exterior of the east end is worth close examination.
Evesham has many fine houses and old inns, notably the late 15th-century Booth Hall or Round House. It has been dramatically but beautifully restored with all its close timberwork seen to good advantage. On the south side of Bridge Street is the old Crown Hotel built round a courtyard. At the end of this street is part of the town's original medieval wall. Dresden House is perhaps the finest building in the town. Of mellowed brickwork, it has a richly carved cornice and a doorway with enormous iron brackets dated 1692. About 1 mile north west on the Worcester Road is the Abbey Manor, probably built around 1840. It stands in pleasantly wooded gardens where an obelisk commemorates the terrible Battle of Evesham. Here on 4 August 1265 in the fury of a thunderstorm Henry III's son, Edward, by cunning strategy, defeated Simon de Montfort who was slain while leading the forces of the rebel barons. Dc Montfort's son Henry, some 18 barons, 160 knights and 4,000 men-at-arms perished in a battle lasting three hours.
Nearby cities: Worcester
Nearby towns: Pershore, Shipston on Stour, Stratford-upon-Avon, Tewkesbury, Winchcombe
Nearby villages: Badsey, Bidford-on-avon, Broadway, Chipping Campden, Offenham, Sedgeberrow
Have you decided to visit Evesham or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a Evesham bed and breakfast (a Evesham B&B or Evesham b and b)
- a Evesham guesthouse
- a Evesham hotel (or motel)
- a Evesham self-catering establishment, or
- other Evesham accommodation