Visit East Linton and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
East Linton, East Lothian, is an old-world village on the River Tyne, which flows here through a miniature gorge, with huge rocks, and is crossed by a 16th century bridge. It is by-passed by the Al trunk road, and this has helped to preserve its charm.
To the North of the village is the parish kirk of Prestonkirk, built in 1733, and enlarged in 1824. It incorporates a 13th century chancel, which is now a private burial-place, and a l7th century square tower, which is thought to have much older foundations. In the churchyard are the graves of three men who might well be called “pioneers of agriculture in Scotland”. They were Andrew Meikie, who invented the threshing mill; John Sherriff, a pioneer in the breeding of different kinds of wheat and oats; and John Brown, who was the first editor of a farming journal in Scotland.
A little farther along the road from the church is Preston Mill, the only working water-mill to survive of the many that once dotted the banks of the River Tyne, and thought to be the only one of its kind still able to operate in Scotland. It dates from the 17th century. The conical roof of the kiln with its projecting wind vane, known locally as the “long arm of friendship”, make it a very popular beauty spot and water-colour subject. In fact, all through the 19th century and until the present day, East Linton, its bridge, and its mill have been most popular with artists. Three whose names have survived from the artistic colony that flourished here are John Petty, who belonged to East Linton; Martin Hardie, who is buried in the churchyard; and the most prolific of them all, Robert Noble.
Near the Mill is Phantassie Doocote, an excellent example of the traditional Scottish dovecote, which was acquired by the National Trust for Scotland in 1961. It was in Phantassie Mansion House nearby that the famous brothers George Rennie, the agriculturist, and John Rennie, the engineer and bridge-builder, were born. A memorial to John Rennie stands beside the by-pass road at East Linton, and incorporates a baluster of the Waterloo Bridge, in London, which he designed.
About 2 miles to the South West, near the river, is the beautiful ruin of Hailes Castle. It is of exceptional interest because its oldest portions date from before the War of Independence, and represent not so much a castle as a fortified manor house. it then belonged to the Gourlays, but afterwards it passed to the Hepburn family, by whom a great square tower and high curtain walls were added. There is also a fine 16th century chapel. The Castle was heavily involved in the War of the Rough Wooing, and was dismantled by Cromwell in 1650. Bothwell brought Queen Mary here on their flight from Borthwick in 1567.
Nearby towns: Dunbar, Haddington, North Berwick
Nearby villages: Aberlady, Athelstaneford, Auldhame, Ballencrieff, Bolton, Dirleton, Drem, East Fortune, East Saltoun, Fenton Barns, Garvald, Gifford, Glenkinchie, Gullane, Humbie, Innerwick, Kingston, Longniddry, Luffness, Macmerry, Pencaitland, Scoughall, Stenton, West Barns, West Saltoun, Whittingehame
Have you decided to visit East Linton or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a East Linton bed and breakfast (a East Linton B&B or East Linton b and b)
- a East Linton guesthouse
- a East Linton hotel (or motel)
- a East Linton self-catering establishment, or
- other East Linton accommodation