Visit and the surrounding villages and stay in bed & breakfast accommodation:
Barmouth, Gwynedd. In Welsh Abermo, but more correctly called Aber Mawddach. Barmouth stands in the estuary of the Mawddach river, where it stretches to the sea from the valley under the shoulder of Cader Idris. Across this estuary stands Barmouth Bridge, ½ mile long and of wood except where it passes over the bed of the river. There, for 400 ft. it is carried on girders supported by steel cylinders driven into the Mawddach. Apart from the railway track, there is also a foot-bridge.
Barmouth town has few ancient monuments, but is fitted with everything required for sport and entertainment. It is terraced against the steep sides of the mountains and has a curiously other-worldly appearance. Its chief attraction lies in the splendid scenery of coast and valley and the high hills that crowd upon it, the range of the Llawllech. Most of the town is modern, but on the quay dominating the strand, where the sea covers the shore completely at high tide, is the Ty Gwyn (White House) reputed to have been built by one of the Vaughan family of Gors-y-Gedol for Henry Tudor, Earl of Richmond, when he landed to begin his campaign against Richard III that ended at Bosworth. It has been converted into cottages, but the ancient door remains. A less well-known episode concerns the part Barmouth played in the Second Civil War of the 17th century. Royalist forces were strong in the area and were preparing to outflank the triumphant Parliamentary troops in North Wales by joining sympathizers in Anglesey. Under the command of a Cardiganshire man (one Lloyd), the Cavaliers, mainly on foot, had gathered at Machynlieth and quartered themselves at Pennal in the neighbouring Dovey valley. Twistleton, the Roundhead Governor of Denbigh, took a company of no more than eighty horse and rode into the Ardudwy, that part of Merioneth which lies just North of Barmouth. The enemy, however, had for the moment been too quick for him and had got away from Dolgellau to Harlech. The regiment at Pennal was making its way to reinforce them; but, as they waited to make the crossing by Barmouth ferry, he surprised them into surrender. The encounter was decisive:it broke the whole of the offensive at the start.
To have a view of the place of engagement and the impressive land- and seascapes, Dinas Olau is a place to reach. It is a cliff above the town, and in 1895 was the first possession acquired by the National Trust.
Llanaber church, the foundation of Barmouth, is now nearly 2 miles away from its centre. It is an unusual church for this part of Wales, but a perfect specimen of its date and kind. Begun in 1200, and finished in fifty years, it has remained unaltered. In it, evidence of some forgotten Barmouth of even earlier date is preserved: an inscribed stone apparently bearing the words Coelextus monedo regi. What or whom it refers to is a matter of doubt. It was found on the shingle beach not far from Barmouth, and was used by a farmer as a foot-bridge over a stream. It may have had some connection with the Egryn Abbey that once stood just over 1 mile away from Llanaber but has now vanished entirely.
Nearby towns: Dolgellau, Harlech, Tywyn
Nearby villages: Abergynolwyn, Aberllefenni, Arthog, Bryn-crug, Capel Arthog, Corris, Cross Foxes, Esgairgeiliog, Llanaber, Llanbedr, Llanddwywe, Llanegryn, Llanelltyd, Llanenddwyn, Llanfachreth, Llanfair, Llanfihangel-y-Pennant, Llangelynin, Llwyngwril, Machynlleth, Pandy, Pantperthog, Pennal, South Beach, Tal-y-Llyn, Tonfanau
Have you decided to visit or the surrounding villages? Please look above for somewhere to stay in:
- a bed and breakfast (a B&B or b and b)
- a guesthouse
- a hotel (or motel)
- a self-catering establishment, or
- other accommodation